Thursday, September 2, 2010

Local reggae artiste places emphasis on living in harmony



(via The Trinidad Gaurdian)

When Quincy Joseph walks through the streets of Point Fortin, Trinidad and Tobago, it is obvious that he is a well-known and well-respected member of the community. Both young and old regard him with a sense of camaraderie, which would give credence to the words of a classic Dancehall oldie instructing people to “live good, inna yuh neighbourhood.” Joseph, 33, better known in the local reggae circles as Ten Commandmentz, places a lot of emphasis on living in harmony with people, because in today’s society, the importance of life is greatly underestimated, sometimes with fatal consequences. Beneath the polite disposition and elusive smile, Joseph knows and has experienced life in a way which can cause a young man to be rushed to the hospital, or lowered six feet into a grave.

This however, is a way of life from which he has long walked away, and he now has different goals and a different outlook on how he should spend his days. In his opinion, the youths of the nation hold the keys to the future, and he insists that the next generation needs to get its act together. Joseph, who is a songwriter, has penned his latest composition entitled Through D Worst, which is his way of trying to soften even the hardest heart, and broadcast the fact that God can solve all problems. The name Ten Commandmentz was given to him by his Jamaican friend, who, after listening to his music, believed that he was trying to bring back order to the music industry. His lyrics address the issues of slander, street life, guns, drugs, police brutality, obeah, and other types of injustice, all of which he said had been aspects of his life.

While he acknowledged that his popularity has made him a role model for his peers, Joseph, who is indifferent to that fact, stressed that the youths should be careful about what they choose to emulate. “As long as I have known myself, I have been a role model both positive and negative. “I am not trying to be one (a role model) but I understand that I am, and as such I try to be mindful of the things I say and do. “Once I’m doing what I believe in my heart to be right, I don’t worry about offending anyone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment